Ridley Terminals Inc.
Ridley Terminals Inc. is one of the most advanced coal terminals of its kind, a world leader in the efficient and reliable movement of coal from unit trains to ships.
Ridley Terminals Inc. is one of the most advanced coal terminals of its kind, a world leader in the efficient and reliable movement of coal from unit trains to ships. Constructed in 1984, the facility provides an export point for the vast reserves of metallurgical and thermal coal in northern British Columbia and Alberta.
Ridley Terminals is favoured for its low-cost operations. The facility also offers high-quality and high-performance services within its continuous 24-hour operations, unloading trains at 6,000 tonnes per hour and loading vessels at 9,000 tonnes per hour.
The terminal also handles petroleum coke and can accommodate additional bulk volumes within its annual shipping capacity of 18 million tonnes.
Ridley Terminal In Depth
Capacity & Performance
- Annual Throughput Capacity: 18 million tonnes
- Storage Capacity: 1.2 million tonnes (expanding to 2.5 M)
- Rail Unloading Rate: 6,000 tonne/hour
- Ship Loading Rate: 9,000 tonne/hour
- Single berth depth: 22 m (low tide)
- Ship size limit: 250,000 DWT (Capesize)
- Closer to Asian markets by 36 hours sailing time
- Superior rail connections from northern BC/AB coal mining regions
- Deep water, ice-free port provides year-round operations
- Direct access to North Pacific shipping lanes
- Certified under ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 standards
- Efficient railcar turn-around via tandem rotary dumpers
- Vessel loading rates significantly higher than those of other west coast terminals
- High-tech, computer based handling systems
- Available volume capacity
- Export of metallurgical coal, thermal coal and petroleum coke